Telkom Knockout Cup Draw Today
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 10:59
The draw for the Telkom Knockout Cup will be held at the Wanderers Club in Johannesburg at 12h30 today.
Orlando Pirates will go into the hat with fifteen other teams from the Absa Premiership.
The Mighty Buccaneers reached the semifinals of the competition last year before losing 6-5 on penalties to perennial rivals Kaizer Chiefs. The competition was eventually won by Mamelodi Sundowns who defeated Chiefs 3-1 in the final.
The procedure of the draw will see the teams that finished in the top eight last season will be seeded. This means that Pirates, who finished seventh last season will fall under the seeded teams.
In terms of the rules, the procedure is as follows:
- Three bowls will be used for the draw (labelled: Pot A, B, C).
- The first bowl (Pot A) will contain the seeded eight clubs (clubs that finished inside the top eight during the 2015/16 season).
- The second bowl (Pot C) will contain the names of the other eight clubs.
- The third bowl (Pot B) will be empty – to be used to determine home and away.
• Orlando Pirates
• Mamelodi Sundowns
• Bidvest Wits
• Platinum Stars
• Cape Town City (Formerly Mpumalanga Black Aces)
• Kaizer Chiefs
• Chippa United
• SuperSport United
• Golden Arrows
• Polokwane City
• Ajax Cape Town
• Bloemfontein Celtic
• Maritzburg United
• Highlands Park
• Free State Stars
• Baroka FC