Pirates into Nedbank Cup Final

21 May, 2017

Orlando Pirates advanced to the 2017 Nedbank Cup final after defeating Golden Arrows 1-0 at the Princess Magogo Stadium in on Sunday afternoon.

As a result, Bucs will now take on SuperSport United in a rematch of last year's final. The final is scheduled to take place at the Moses Mabhida Stadium of the 24th of June 2017.

The match got off to a lively start with both sides creating goalscoring opportunities in the opening exchanges of the encounter.

Arrows midfielder Nduduzo Sibiya's free-kick was well-saved by Pirates goalkeeper Jackson Mabokgwane in the eighth minute and the visitors launched a quick counter-attack.

However, Bucs forward Dove Wome fired over the crossbar without testing Nkosingiphile Gumede in the Abafana Bes'thende goal-posts.

Thabo Rakhale, the Bucs' tricky winger, was keeping the Abafana Bes'thende defence busy with his skill and pace, while in possession of the ball.

Bucs piled pressure on the Arrows defence and in the 33rd minute they were awarded a free-kick in a promising area after Musa Bilankulu committed a foul.

Mpho Makola then stepped up and delivered a good cross into the Arrows box and his Bucs teammate Abbubaker Mobara headed home to make it 1-0 to Pirates.

Bucs nearly doubled their lead in the 40th minute, but the Abafana Bes'thende defence reacted quickly and they robbed Thamsanqa Gabuza of possession.

The score was 1-0 to Pirates during the halftime break following an entertaining first-half in the city of Durban.

Abafana Bes'thende were the better side in the early stages of the second-half and Sibiya forced Mabokgwane into a decent save just four minutes after the restart.

Kudakwashe Mahachi, the Arrows winger, played a great cross into the Pirates box in the 63rd minute, but it evaded everyone as the home side looked to equalize.

Two minutes later Pirates came close to doubling their lead, but Marc Van Heerden's well-taken free-kick was brilliantly saved by Gumede in the Arrows goal-posts.

Pirates coach Kjell Jonevret made a tactical change in the 77th minute pulling out Makola for defensive minded Gladwin Shitolo as the visitors looked to contain Arrows.

The home side had a great chance to snatch a late equalising goal in stoppage time, but Sibiya's free-kick crashed off the crossbar and Pirates held onto their slender lead, and they won 1-0.

Arrows (0) 0

Pirates (1) 1 (Mobara 33')

Arrows: Gumede, Dlamini, Mathiane, Mzava, Mthiyane, Bilankulu, Jooste (Ntanga 75'), Sibiya, Mahachi, Magubane (Lamola 50'), Mutizwa (Sibeko 63').

Pirates: Mabokgwane, Mobara, Jele, Matlab, Van Heerden, Sarr, Makola (Shitolo 77'), Manyisa, Rakhale, Wome (Norodien 73'), Gabuza.